You can find the install instructions on the official Interspire website but as its listed there as a PDF file I’ve found that many people benefit from having the instructions in actual text. Below find the core instructions.
Please ensure your web host meets the application requirements.
- Linux, UNIX or variants preferred. Windows 2000 or higher (which support IIS 5 or above).
- Apache 1.3.2 or above either on Linux, Unix or a variant or Windows. IIS 5 or above on a Windows server.
- PHP 5.1.3 or above
- MySQL 4.1.1 or above – or –
- PostgreSQL 8.2 or above
To use autoresponders, your need access to Cron on your web server (default) or Scheduled Tasks (Windows). To process bounced emails, your version of PHP needs access to the imap_xxx functions (default)
Unzip the Interspire Email Marketer package onto your local hard drive. If you don’t have Winzip, you can download it for free here. Using an FTP program (such as Filezilla, which is free, or a commercial package such as CuteFTP), login to your web server and copy the Interspire Email Marketer files across into your base website directory. This directory is commonly called ‘public_html’, ‘html’, ‘www’ or ‘website_html’. If you’re not sure what it is, your webhost provider will be able to tell you.
Interspire Email Marketer requires the following files/directories to have ‘write’ permissions set. If you’re running on a Linux or Unix web host, you can use your FTP program and use the ‘CHMOD’ (‘Change Mode’) function to grant write permissions. If your host is running Windows, you will need to contact them about setting up write permissions on these files/folders. Also, if a folder listed here doesn’t exist, please create it.
Files, CHMOD this file to 646:
Note: Although it says 646, some webhosts may require 664 or 666 instead.
Folders, CHMOD these to 757:
Note: Although it says 757, some webhosts may require 775 or 777 instead.
Interspire Email Marketer makes use of a MySQL or PostgreSQL database to store your data. This database must be created before you run the Interspire Email Marketer installation wizard. Your database user account should also have full grant access to that database.
You will need the database connection details during the setup wizard.
Setting up your database may differ with your webhost and what software they use for your webhosting control panel:
- If your webhost is running ‘cPanel’, read this guide
- If your webhost is running ‘Plesk’, read this guide
- If your webhost uses a different website control panel, read this guide
Interspire Email Marketer includes a simple one step installation process.
To start the setup wizard, navigate to the directory that you uploaded Interspire Email Marketer to, for example: http://www.yoursite.com/iem/. The Interspire Email Marketer setup wizard will appear. It contains the following fields:
- License Key – Copy the license key you received when you purchased Interspire Email Marketer and paste it here.
- Application URL- This is the URL to your Interspire Email Marketer installation (not your main website if this is in a sub folder)
- Email Address – This is the email that will be used for the super admin user that will be created, also it will be the default contact email which can be changed later via your settings page.
- Password & Confirm Password – This will become the password for your admin user. The username will be ‘admin’.
- Database Information – You will need your database username, password, database name and host (usually ‘localhost’, though this may vary with some hosts).
- Send Server Configuration – This will send information about your server back to us. The data sent will be basic information such as your PHP version, MySQL version, etc. No information
that can identify you or your website will be sent, it is completely anonymous. This will aid us in future development to know what versions of PHP and MySQL we can support among other
Your Interspire Email Marketer configuration details will now be saved into the admin/includes/config.php file. Your database tables will also been created.
Congratulations, you are now ready to login to the Interspire Email Marketer control panel and start adding content! Your control panel will be accessible by adding ‘/admin’ onto the end of your website URL.